Melatonin is the principal hormone secreted by the brain’s pineal gland and is responsible for maintaining the body's circadian rhythm, its sleep-wake cycle. The level of melatonin produced is heavily influenced by sunlight. The secretion of melatonin is much higher at night than during the day. When this process is interrupted, symptoms can occur such as headaches, mental and physical fatigue, and irritability.
Uses of Melatonin:
- Improved sleep quality: Melatonin plays an important role in falling to sleep and awakening. Darkness stimulates the release of melatonin and light suppresses its activity. Melatonin can decrease the amount of time required to fall asleep, increase the number of deep-sleep hours (REM sleep), leading to better daytime alertness.
- Jet Lag and Rotating Shift Work: Jet lag and rotating shift work can interfere with the body’s natural circadian rhythm. Melatonin helps people with disrupted circadian rhythms get better quality sleep.
- Menopause Support: Melatonin plays a role in female reproductive cycles. It helps determine when menstruation begins, the frequency and duration of menstrual cycles, and the onset of menopause.
- Bone Health: Melatonin supports the function of osteoblasts, the cells that build bone.
- Immune Support: Melatonin has strong antioxidant properties and helps support immune system strength. As an antioxidant, it is 6 to 10 times more potent than vitamin E and is one of the few antioxidants that can enter the mitochondria to protect it from free radical damage.
- Mood Support: Some people experience depression in the winter due to short days and lack of sunlight. This is referred to as Seasonal Affective Disorder, or SAD. Melatonin helps to balance seasonally affected mood conditions.
Melatonin spray uses a liposomal liquid delivery system for flexible, convenient dosing and protects it from degradation by stomach acid.
Serving Size: 2 sprays
Servings Per Bottle: 75
Amount Per Serving: approximately 3 mg
Other Ingredients: glycerin, water, sunflower lecithin, oleic acid polglyceride, citric acid, xanthan gum, orange oil, rosmarinic acid.
Suggested Use: Shake well before each use. Hold spray plunger about 1” (2.5cm) from the mouth. Spray twice, hold in mouth for about one minute and then swallow or as directed by your healthcare practitioner.
Warning: This product should not be taken by adolescents, pregnant or lactating women, persons taking cortisone, or persons with kidney disease. Consult your physician if taking medications for sleep, anxiety, or if taking any anti-coagulant, antidepressant, antipsychotic, or anti-hypertensive drugs.